Friday, May 1, 2009

The new style

I've decided to revamp my style a bit and these two cartoons, which are in this month's Prospect, are the result. I've tried to loosen up quite a bit, simplify and create more dynamic cartoons. I've been a little dissatisfied with the look of some of my work and wanted it to be less stiff so I've moved in this direction, influenced by some classic cartoonists like Steinberg, 50's animation and modern stuff like Serge Bloch. I think the style works well with the outline-less objects I sometimes include (like the tie salesman's counter below). I also think they look great on the page of the well-designed Prospect magazine, but I am biased.


2 comments:

Rod McKie said...

Hey I like your new style.

It is very difficult to achieve because it means fighting against the cartoonist's instinct to control everything; their method of production, our sense of humour, their way of earning a living. Very single-minded, controlling people. A wabi-sabi look adds a dialectic tension to the work (that should get me an A* Professor Matthews).

Just getting your blog link back up, Alexander.

alexander matthews said...

Great. Thanks for the comment, Rod. For me this method does feel natural, but it takes more concentration or I slip back into old habits. Tightening up the lines and so on.